Monday, January 7, 2013

Lentil Shepherd's Pie

I am not a big meat eater. It's just not my favorite. So, I try to be sure and get plenty of protein through veggies as much as possible, especially during pregnancy. Anyhow, a couple years ago my sister and I were eating at this hippy food co-op (she is a total hippy and I love her for it!) and they were serving a vegetarian shepherd's pie. We went completely gaga for it! We have talked about it ever since, but have never found a recipe that was anything like it. Well, Ryan text me the other day and she had found a Lentil Shepherd's Pie recipe on the back of her favorite vegetable stock carton. Of all places! So...she made it at her house and I made it at mine... it was a success. I thought I would share it with y'all. I was happy I already had some lentils in my pantry from making my darling friend Kathleen's favorite lentil soup (which is SO yummy).  P.S.Lentils are packed with protein! 

This may not look too appetizing to some of y'all. If so, just think of it as mashed potatoes and peas.
I made Mitch my BFF Beth's Hamburger Steak to go with it and it was a hit. 

I wish I had thought ahead and taken pictures of each step... but it is relatively simple, especially for all of you culinary experts :)

Ingredients: 

6 medium red potatoes (1.5 lb, quartered) 
1 cup lentils, rinsed & drained (rinse and examine for miscellaneous materials) 
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp olive oil 
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp thyme (or rosemary) 
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 low fat milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp unsalted butter or olive oil
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Preparation: 
(this may seem a little lengthy as far as prep goes, but you can multitask and get it all together at the same time with no worries) 

Cook potatoes in boiling water for 25 minutes, until tender. Drain well. Set aside. 

Bring lentils, broth and 1 cup of water to boil in medium pot. Boil 3 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 30 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat medium casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. 

Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Saute onions, carrots and garlic until onions are translucent and carrots start to become tender, about 10 minutes. 
Remove from heat and stir in peas, thyme, sea salt and ground black pepper. Stir cooked lentils into mixture. 

Mash potatoes or whip with electric mixer (I totally suggest whipping them!) adding milk, cheese, butter and cayenne pepper. 

Transfer lentil mixture to casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes over lentil mixture and smooth to evenly cover. 

Bake 30 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8

Enjoy this hearty, healthy dish! 



post signature

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...I really want to try this though it does seem like I would need "all hands on deck" aka...not holding a baby while my other bigger baby pulls on my pant leg. So...it may be a while but I plan to try it!

    ReplyDelete