Monday, August 8, 2011

Baking, organizing and some unlikely sunbathers

Our first Monday of the semester is down and it was a good one. Our family operates on a "semester" calendar, I guess that is how it goes when you have been doing that for almost 8 years! We started the morning with one of my favorite breakfast foods -- blueberry muffins. It is my mom's recipe and I love it. It has 2 "magic" ingredients... yogurt and lemon rind. (I will put the recipe at the bottom of this post so you can try it!)

After breakfast, Scarlett and I ran by church because Mitch left his Bible in the nursery yesterday. It is such a tornado in there when we were working that it is a wonder we all made it out together. I think we ended up with 12 children total under the age of 2... yikes! Then we went for a little stroll through a local floral garden. I let Scarlett walk pretty much the whole time while I pushed an empty stroller. She loves to roam in open spaces so this was the perfect opportunity. She fell asleep on the way home so I transferred her to her bed and she took a good nap. I have been wanting to get organized. The main concern of mine has been my closet. It was completely out-of-control, in every way. So, I hunkered down over the weekend and started piling, purging and organizing. Notice I did not say re-organize... you cannot re-organize something that was never organized. My point exactly. Anyhow... my jewelry has been a long-time issue, so I added this little shadow box and hooks (I got that idea from one of my favorite magazines -- Southern Lady) This is my end product that I am very happy with.
As you can see, my closet is tiny. It happens to be under the small set of stairs that lead to our 2nd floor. It is just a challenge, but I think I have possibly taken it to its full potential. Not one more scarf or shoe will fit. 1 project down, 400 more to go!

And here are some unlikely sunbathers that found their way to our deck railing today. I actually put them there. They were looking pretty raunchy so I washed them with a load of bath towels this morning. Well, I forgot that I put them out there and was standing at the kitchen sink this afternoon and looked out the window. I gasped!!! They looked so real for about 0.000005 of a second :)


I have been trying to get caught up on my backposts from this summer. Whew, the list is long! I keep this blog as a scrapbook for our family so I try hard to keep things in chronological order, but I know there are some ( I won't name any names!) who would like read back and see what we were up to. Anyway, you can read here, here and here!

I wish I had a better picture of my sweet girl, but this is mostly what I saw today... the backend of a busy toddler!
Hoping your week is off to a good start!

post signature

Nonni's Blueberry Muffins

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup plain yogurt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. of grated lemon rind
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions: Mix eggs, butter and sugar together. Stir in yogurt. Add dry ingredients, then add blueberries. Spoon batter into muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Yields 1.5 dozen muffins.




No comments:

Post a Comment